Give Children the Rhythm and Sounds of the English Language
We begin the year with Mother Goose Rhymes to effortlessly give children the rhythm and sounds of the English language and to introduce them to “Just Right: I Can Read!” Little Books which they can use during “Read to Self” Time. Marie Clay’s research reminds us that “Rhymers are readers.” Using classic Mother Goose little books is a research-based approach to simultaneously build phonemic awareness, oral language fluency, reading skills, and delight!
(Common Core Standards L.K.1., L.K.2., L.K.6., SL.K.)
1. Children Need to Memorize, Recite, and Perform Language
The performers develop speaking skills and fluency with oral language as they dramatize and articulate Hey Diddle, Diddle. They develop comprehension and fluency while connecting language and pictures to print.
The audience practices good listening skills and giving feedback. Soon it will be their turn to perform. Thus the language of favorite nursery rhymes is rehearsed over and over again.
2. Let’s Build a Wall and Play Humpty Dumpty
“Announcing: Humpty Dumpty, by the
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the King’s horses,
And all the King’s men,
Couldn’t put Humpty together again.
How were they?
3. Give Children the Memorable Language of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
Learn Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star in American Sign Language.
Mother Goose Inspires Art Extensions
Notice the spacing between words in
Hey Diddle, Diddle.
Notice special Name Tickets outlined in black.
4. Give Children Little Books of Traditional Nursery Rhymes: Rhymers are Readers – Marie Clay
5. When teachers delight in playing with the language in Mother Goose rhymes, children naturally become engaged readers.
Make Friends with Mother Goose Resources
Online Video Tutorials + Resources
See how easy it is to study with Nellie Edge Online Seminars!
Grow Your Kindergarten Writers Build Stamina for the Writing Workshop
• ABC Phonics
• Kindergarten Handwriting
• Authentic Sight Word Work
Nellie Edge teaches you essential skills designed from 30 years of experience. These proven early writing strategies keep learning active and authentic.
- Three 1-hour video tutorials with practical content you can use right away
- Multisensory ABC and Phonics Immersion
- Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting Matters!
- Authentic Sight Word Work
- Watch, study and review at your own pace
- $159 of classroom resources ready to download
All 3 for $99. Use code at checkout: summer17
With unlimited access.