Sunflower Children in September:
Combining Experiences in Poetry, Art, and Connections to Nature
October and The Poetry of Falling Leaves
Children explore the school grounds, gather leaves, and look for signs of the season. Returning to the classroom, they are immersed in literature, poems, and songs about leaves. With leaves in hand, they experience the cycle of nature again through drama. Children sing and dramatize the poetry of Falling Leaves:
Leaves are falling; falling to the ground.
See them gently twirl around; dancing ‘til they touch the ground.
Leaves are falling; falling to the ground..
Favorite information picture books:
- Leaf Man, Lois Ehlert
- Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf, Lois Ehlert
- Look What I Did With A Leaf! Morteza E. Sohi
Songs and rhymes to memorize:
- Leaves Are Falling, Nellie Edge
- Like a Leaf or a Feather, anonymous
- One By One, Margaret Wise Brown
- Who Has Seen The Wind?, Christina Rosetti
A November Poem for Your Poetry "I Can Read" Notebooks.
no green grass
no blue skies
no bare feet going by
no leaves on trees
After children have a memorable sense of this rhyme, use it to model and engage them in interactive writing using the words “yes” and “no.”
"I Can Read" Poetry Resources
"I Can Read" Poetry Related Articles
Online Video Tutorials + Resources
See how easy it is to study with Nellie Edge Online Seminars!
Grow Your Kindergarten Writers Build Stamina for the Writing Workshop
• ABC Phonics
• Kindergarten Handwriting
• Authentic Sight Word Work
Nellie Edge teaches you essential skills designed from 30 years of experience. These proven early writing strategies keep learning active and authentic.
- Three 1-hour video tutorials with practical content you can use right away
- Multisensory ABC and Phonics Immersion
- Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting Matters!
- Authentic Sight Word Work
- Watch, study and review at your own pace
- $159 of classroom resources ready to download
All three only $117 or individual $59 ea. With unlimited access.