3. For English language learners, fingerspelling provides multiple pathways to learning success with letters, sounds, and high-frequency “heart words.” (Many English language learners master fingerspelling faster than their English-speaking classmates.)
Wow! You learned to sing, sign, fingerspell, and read another new word!
5. The strategies used to teach fingerspell are supported by decades of visual learning research. Teachers and children have crystal-clear, achievable learning targets. Teachers provide specific feedback, children learn to assess their progress, and mastery is acknowledged and celebrated! (Read John Hattie’s book, Visible Learning for Teachers)
7. Learning to fingerspell provides a family literacy experience, multiplying our teaching effectiveness. Free online ASL video clips and abc support for at-home practice are available. Let parents know that fingerspelling not only builds hand-eye coordination for writing but also develops strength and dexterity for athletics and playing a musical instrument.
9. Learning to fingerspell builds children’s pride in mastering a new communication skill. It teaches children to focus, observe closely, work hard, and develop visual motor integration.
You worked hard, and now you’re an expert at fingerspelling every letter from A to Z. You must feel proud of becoming a fingerspelling expert.
Writing Related Blog Articles
Take a Master Class in these Foundational Writing Strategies
We've made it easy with Nellie Edge Online Seminars!
Grow Your Kindergarten Writers Build Stamina for the Writing Workshop
• ABC Phonics
• Kindergarten Handwriting
• Authentic Sight Word Work
Special - Individual seminars just $49
or buy all three for $117
Nellie Edge teaches you essential skills designed from 30 years of experience in step-by-step videos:
Seminar #1: Multisensory ABC and Phonics Immersion
Seminar #2: Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting Matters!
Seminar #3: Authentic Sight Word Work
WITH EACH SEMINAR YOU'll RECEIVE:
- Unlimited Access to Online Video Tutorials
- Companion Teacher's Guide
- Coordinating Classroom Resources - ready to use!
To receive special use code at checkout: nefall49