What could YOUR family-friendly calendar look like? Why does it matter?
“Parents as Partners” multiplies your teaching effectiveness!
Our work in establishing and supporting meaningful family learning traditions is some of the most important work kindergarten teachers do. We do NOT believe in giving families tedious busy work to do at home. We DO believe in sharing actionable ways families can build school success for their child while creating joyful learning memories.
What do meaningful family literacy traditions look like?
“Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” ― Emilie Buchwald
Photo compliments of Marion-Polk Early Learning Hub
Motivated kinders love practicing words by heart!
Photo of Jack taken by his mom, Leigh Elliott
Our Kindergarten Homework Calendar on TpT
Includes FREE yearly updates and 7 parent letters!
Practical • Joyful • Editable
(The calendar is available as a PDF and also in editable form for those of you who want to adapt the language to fit your curriculum.)
For a FREE sample of the calendar and parent letter, download September, 2019
Thank you for being Parents as Partners in kindergarten success: Sing, talk, dance, & read! Choose a few new activities to enjoy with your child every week.
Let your calendar be a gentle reminder to families to sing, talk, dance, and read with their children every day.
- Memorize many Mother Goose rhymes
- Learn the ABC Phonics song
- Write and draw often
- Count everything
- Take walks and explore nature
- Tell stories
- Enjoy family dinnertime
- Savor childhood—your family is still the most important teacher your child will ever have!
Honor family life with meaningful learning activities!
- Build the nightly reading-at-home tradition
- Include actionable ways for families to reinforce foundational literacy and math skills
- Emphasize rich oral language traditions: singing, rhyming, and story-telling
- Include a focus on socioemotional skills and kindergarten kindness
- Encourages voracious vocabulary building: Ornithologists study birds!
Includes 7 Nellie Edge Parents as Partners letters
- About the Monthly Family Learning Calendar
- ABC Phonics Family Reference Chart
- Memorize, Recite, and Read Mother Goose Rhymes
- Developing Small Motor Skills and Efficient Pencil Grip Are Important
- Teach Your Child to Print Their Name Efficiently: The Beginning of ABC Fluency
- Parents as Partners: Why Phonemic Awareness Is Important
- Achieving Rigorous ELA Common Core Standards
What Do Kindergarten Teachers Say About This Family-Friendly Calendar?
Each year I have families who request homework for their "littles".... There are so many activities that families can do together in place of paper/pencil homework. These pages allow me to send homework but in a manner that will work with families....and they are editable! –Rachelle M.
I have been using these monthly homework calendars in my classroom for the past three school years. This new update is getting me ready for year four. It's such a fantastic way to enhance what it being learned in the classroom and create open lines of communication between school and home. Thanks for making quality products for busy teachers and busy kindergarten families! –Heather C.
What a great way to share simple things families can do at home together! This takes care of all the homework issues I get every year - some families want it, some don't. Now they can choose and understand what we do in Kindergarten! Thank you!! –Patti R.
The price of this Family Learning Calendar ALWAYS reflects a 50% savings!
It is our commitment to meaningful family literacy.
Earn TPT credit! After you download and see the product, please post a rating and comment!
Follow me on TPT and receive 50% off NEW ITEMS within 48 hours of posting!
The Kindergarten Calendar is part of the Parents as Partners in Kindergarten Success Bundle
- Kindergarten Round-Up Power Guide: a Nellie Edge Presentation
- A Family Guide to Growing Readers
- Kindergarten Round-Up Parents as Partners Guide to Literacy
- Editable Kindergarten Family Learning Calendars: August 2019 – June 2020
Take a Master Class in Kindergarten Writing Foundations
EACH SEMINAR INCLUDES
Step-by-Step Video Tutorials • Companion Teacher's Guide
Coordinating Classroom Resources!
$117 for all 3 or $49 each
Includes unlimited access and optional PD credits