Announcing Nellie Edge 2020 Writing Workshop #1
Can't Attend? Study with Nellie Edge Online Seminars...
Discover an authentic, integrated approach to handwriting and sight words that builds stamina and fluency for writing workshop.
Best Practices: How to Simultaneously Teach Handwriting and Sight Words
with Nellie Edge
Appropriate for PreK, kindergarten, first grade, special education, literacy coaches and administrators.
In just one day, experience the power of authentic kindergarten writing strategies.
1. “I love you” Is Our Handwriting Anchor Sentence: We Read, Write, and Practice “Heart Words” for Fluency.
We expect all children to master this sentence using accurate handwriting, spaces between words, and punctuation. Even special needs students can write “I love you” early in the year.
2. Children Are Engaged in Writing Workshop and Authentic, Motivating Writing-to-Read Experiences with Good Handwriting Throughout the Day and Across the Curriculum.
Kindergartners love to draw and write and make “really cool” books.
3. Independent Writing Totes Provide Systematic and Authentic “Heart Word” Practice.
Independent writing totes provide drawing and bookmaking experiences with a sequence of “heart word” sentences: “I love…,” “I see the…,” “I like my…,” “I can see…,” ”I have a…”
4. Our Students Use Music, Fingerspelling, Writing, and Sign Language to Create Memory Hooks. We Take Advantage of How the Brain Learns Best!
Children simultaneously practice handwriting and high-frequency “heart words.”
5. Ongoing Assessment Drives Instruction, and Learning Is Celebrated!
6. “Parents as Partners” Accelerates Mastery of High-Frequency “Heart Words.”
Each new set of “heart words” goes home on a ring in a special box for family practice as soon as the previous set is mastered.
7. Learning Is Differentiated, and All Children Receive an Arts-Rich Talented and Gifted (TAG) Learning Model.
There is a constant challenge for the more-proficient readers and writers, and there is scaffolding for the developmentally-younger and less-experienced writers.
8. We Teach the Common Core Opinion Writing Word “because” Through Rhythm, Rhyme, and Writing Early in the Year.
Children engage in high-quality oral language rehearsals emphasizing the word “because.”
9. Children Write Compound Sentences, e.g.: “I love my mom because she loves me.” “I Can Read” Anthology Pages Featuring “Heart Word” Songs and Chants Are Illustrated.
Children take pride in doing quality work and in challenging themselves to fingerspell, write, and read each new word.
10. Harder-to-Accelerate Students Receive Additional Multisensory “Heart Word,” CVC Practice, Word Work, and ABC Brain Exercises for Fluency.
Response to Intervention (RTI) teams, volunteers, and parents provide additional targeted practice. Our end goal is fluency — speed and accuracy!
11. Our Rooms Have A-Z Word Walls with Movable “Heart Word” Cards That Children Use!
Children use these words during writer’s workshop time. With limited space, a cookie sheet or an oil pan may become an additional movable Word Wall!
BONUS! Art, Creativity, Voice, and Playfulness Are Part of the Writing Process!
Choose Joyful Pathways to the Common Core: Allow Children's Creativity to Flourish While Meeting Rigorous ELA Writing Standards....
Your registration includes detailed handwriting and “heart word” supports: Make these proven practices routine in your classroom
A Teacher’s Power Guide: Nellie’s step-by-step presentation
Receive access to all 4 kindergarten-friendly handwriting program components.
Gift Folder (anthologies, drawing templates, book making samples)
About Nellie Edge
For more than three decades, Nellie Edge has been teaching and inspiring kindergarten teachers around the globe. Her proven literacy strategies are grounded in evidence-based research. Teachers everywhere have seen higher student achievement and joyful, engaged learners when they’ve followed her proven practices and used her extensive resources.
Read more about Nellie Edge.
Your Colleagues Evaluate Nellie Edge Professional Development
Loved it! Love the applicable learning! It speaks to my teaching heart. –Elizabeth Hoover, 1st grade
Thank you for reminding us of what authentic learning is all about. –Becky Bull, kindergarten teacher
I love how all of the information is current and relevant to today’s students and the standards...
Best I've been to in 35 years!
You put the fun back into teaching and learning.