Nellie Edge 2018 Small "Best Practices" Live Workshops
Can't Attend? Study with Nellie Edge Online Seminars...
Accelerate Kindergarten Writing Proficiency
Workshop #1 with Nellie Edge
Building the Writing Brain!
(limited to 50 teachers for a quality experience)
Oct. 12, 2018 | Salem, OR
Grand Hotel | 8:30am - 3:30pm
Oct. 25, 2018 | Spokane, WA
Red Lion River Inn | 8:30am - 3:30pm
Register Now for $239
- Save more! Register early for both Workshop #1 with Nellie Edge and Workshop #2 with Julie Lay for $399. Have the best writing year ever!
- Registration for Workshop #1 also includes access to Nellie Edge Online Seminars for resources and review. Make your PLC time count!
- 3 PDUs or 6 WA Clock Hours available
Give students mastery of three foundational skills with step-by-step instruction that build writing proficiency!
- Multisensory ABC and Phonics Immersion (building levels of mastery)
- Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting (30 essential lessons)
- Authentic Practices to Teach Heart Words and Heart Word Sentences
Our language and proven practices develop a growth mindset!
Scroll down to see these practices in real classrooms.
1. We teach for three levels of ABC Phonics Mastery, Have High Expectations and Give Students Crystal Clear Learning Targets.
Children view learning targets: Wall posters of high-frequency “heart words.”
2. We Provide Multisensory Art-Rich Handwriting Practice and Make Learning Visible and Meaningful. The word “love” is our anchor word. The “heart word” sentence “I love you” is practiced for mastery.
3. We Use Fingerspelling to Help Children Develop Three Levels of ABC Phonics Mastery, Fluency with “Heart Words” and Consonant-Vowel-Consonant (CVC) Words.
We sing, sign, fingerspell, and write 33 pink and purple “heart words” and bonus words.
4. Our Rooms Have A-Z Word Walls with Movable “Heart Word” Cards That Children Use!
Children use these words during writer’s workshop time. With limited space, a cookie sheet or an oil pan may become an additional movable Word Wall!
5. Involve “Parents as Partners” in Individualizing the Study of High-Frequency “Heart Words.”
Each new set of “heart words” goes home on a ring in a special box for family practice as soon as the previous set is mastered.
6. Ongoing Assessment Drives Instruction, and Learning Is Celebrated!
7. Our Students Use Music, Fingerspelling, Writing, and Sign Language to Create Memory Hooks. We Take Advantage of How the Brain Learns Best!
Children simultaneously practice handwriting and high-frequency “heart words.”
8. “I love you” Is Our Handwriting and “Heart Word” Anchor Sentence: We Read, Write, and Practice for Fluency.
We expect all children to master this sentence using accurate handwriting, spaces between words, and punctuation. Even special needs students can write “I love you” early in the year.
9. Independent Writing Totes Provide Systematic and Authentic “Heart Word” Practice.
Independent writing totes provide drawing and bookmaking experiences with a sequence of “heart word” sentences: “I love…,” “I see the…,” “I like my…,” “I can see…,” ”I have a…”
10. Learning Is Differentiated, and All Children Receive an Arts-Rich Talented and Gifted (TAG) Learning Model.
There is a constant challenge for the more-proficient readers and writers, and there is scaffolding for the developmentally-younger and less-experienced writers.
11. ABC Recognition and Phonics Skills are Reinforced Through Songs and Fingerspelling. We teach the Common Core opinion writing word “because” through rhythm, rhyme and writing early in the year.
Children engage in high-quality oral language rehearsals emphasizing the word “because.”
12. Children Write Compound Sentences, e.g.: “I love my mom because she loves me.” “I Can Read” Anthology Pages Featuring “Heart Word” Songs and Chants Are Illustrated.
Children take pride in doing quality work and in challenging themselves to fingerspell, write, and read each new word.
13. Harder-to-Accelerate Students Receive Additional Multisensory “Heart Word,” CVC Practice, Word Work, and ABC Brain Exercises for Fluency.
Response to Intervention (RTI) teams, volunteers, and parents provide additional targeted practice. Our end goal is fluency — speed and accuracy!
14. Children Are Engaged in Writing Workshop and Authentic, Motivating Writing-to-Read Experiences with Good Handwriting Throughout the Day and Across the Curriculum.
Kindergartners love to draw and write and make “really cool” books.
15. Writing Workshop Is Where Children Practice the Craft of Becoming a Writer.
(Thank you Jaime Corliss for published books)
A Comprehensive Kindergarten Writing Workshop model includes all students as authors and illustrators, publishing their own fiction and information books. They do amazing work!
Kindergartners, like twelfth graders, draft, edit, and publish their writing. Lucy Calkin
BONUS! Art, Creativity, Voice, and Playfulness Are Part of the Writing Process!
Choose Joyful Pathways to the Common Core: Allow Children's Creativity to Flourish While Meeting Rigorous ELA Writing Standards....
Workshop #2 with Julie Lay
Workshop #3 with Nellie Edge
Independent Writing Centers and Publishing Kindergarten Books
(It’s the best thing we do!)
(coming in April, details TBA)
About Nellie Edge
For more than three decades, Nellie Edge has been teaching and inspiring kindergarten teachers around the globe. Her proven literacy strategies are grounded in evidence-based research. Teachers everywhere have seen higher student achievement and joyful, engaged learners when they’ve followed her proven practices and used her extensive resources.
Read more about Nellie Edge.
Your Colleagues Evaluate Nellie Edge Professional Development
Loved it! Love the applicable learning! It speaks to my teaching heart. –Elizabeth Hoover, 1st grade
Thank you for reminding us of what authentic learning is all about. –Becky Bull, kindergarten teacher
I love how all of the information is current and relevant to today’s students and the standards...
Best I've been to in 35 years!
You put the fun back into teaching and learning.
Follow Nellie Edge on Teachers Pay Teachers: Save 50%
Every Follower will immediately hear about new products and updates on our TpT store.
Take advantage of this 50% off savings within the first 48 hours of a new posting!
- Remember: All updates and corrections made to the products from our store are free. Forever.