Nellie Edge 2019 Small "Best Practices" Live Workshops
Can't Attend? Study with Nellie Edge Online Seminars...
Accelerate Kindergarten Writing Proficiency
Writing Workshop #3 with Nellie Edge
From Independent Writing Centers to Published Books
This popular workshop may fill early! Limited to 35 teachers for a quality experience.
Additonal Date - April 13, 2019 | Salem, OR
Grand Hotel | 8:30am - 3:30pm
(March 16, 2019 - SOLD OUT)
In just one day, experience the power of authentic kindergarten writing strategies.
1. Independent Writing Totes Provide Systematic and Authentic “Heart Word” Practice.
Independent writing totes provide drawing and bookmaking experiences with a sequence of “heart word” sentences: “I love…,” “I see the…,” “I like my…,” “I can see…,” ”I have a…”
2. Children Are Engaged in Writing Workshop and Authentic, Motivating Writing-to-Read Experiences with Good Handwriting Throughout the Day and Across the Curriculum.
Kindergartners love to draw and write and make “really cool” books.
3. “I love you” Is Our Handwriting Anchor Sentence: We Read, Write, and Practice “Heart Words” for Fluency.
We expect all children to master this sentence using accurate handwriting, spaces between words, and punctuation. Even special needs students can write “I love you” early in the year.
4. Our Students Use Music, Fingerspelling, Writing, and Sign Language to Create Memory Hooks. We Take Advantage of How the Brain Learns Best!
Children simultaneously practice handwriting and high-frequency “heart words.”
5. Ongoing Assessment Drives Instruction, and Learning Is Celebrated!
6. “Parents as Partners” Accelerates Mastery of High-Frequency “Heart Words.”
Each new set of “heart words” goes home on a ring in a special box for family practice as soon as the previous set is mastered.
7. Learning Is Differentiated, and All Children Receive an Arts-Rich Talented and Gifted (TAG) Learning Model.
There is a constant challenge for the more-proficient readers and writers, and there is scaffolding for the developmentally-younger and less-experienced writers.
8. We Teach the Common Core Opinion Writing Word “because” Through Rhythm, Rhyme, and Writing Early in the Year.
Children engage in high-quality oral language rehearsals emphasizing the word “because.”
9. Children Write Compound Sentences, e.g.: “I love my mom because she loves me.” “I Can Read” Anthology Pages Featuring “Heart Word” Songs and Chants Are Illustrated.
Children take pride in doing quality work and in challenging themselves to fingerspell, write, and read each new word.
10. Harder-to-Accelerate Students Receive Additional Multisensory “Heart Word,” CVC Practice, Word Work, and ABC Brain Exercises for Fluency.
Response to Intervention (RTI) teams, volunteers, and parents provide additional targeted practice. Our end goal is fluency — speed and accuracy!
11. Our Rooms Have A-Z Word Walls with Movable “Heart Word” Cards That Children Use!
Children use these words during writer’s workshop time. With limited space, a cookie sheet or an oil pan may become an additional movable Word Wall!
12. Writing Workshop Is Where Children Practice the Craft of Becoming a Writer: Information Stories Become Published Books.
(Thank you Jaime Corliss for published books)
A Comprehensive Kindergarten Writing Workshop model includes all students as authors and illustrators, publishing their own fiction and information books. They do amazing work!
Kindergartners, like twelfth graders, draft, edit, and publish their writing. Lucy Calkin
BONUS! Art, Creativity, Voice, and Playfulness Are Part of the Writing Process!
Choose Joyful Pathways to the Common Core: Allow Children's Creativity to Flourish While Meeting Rigorous ELA Writing Standards....
A Teacher’s Power Guide: Nellie’s step-by-step presentation
The essential templates you need to create 4 independent writing totes
Gift Folder (anthologies, drawing templates, book making samples)
$169 worth of support materials and resources!
Online Seminars FREE with Your Registration
Receive unlimited access to all 3 Nellie Edge Online Seminars for resources and review ($117 value)
- Seminar 1: Multisensory ABC and Phonics Immersion
- Seminar #2: Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting
- Seminar #3: Authentic Practices to Teach Heart Words
Learn our proven foundation for Excellence with these Online Seminars.
1. We teach for three levels of ABC Phonics Mastery, Have High Expectations and Give Students Crystal Clear Learning Targets.
Children view learning targets: Wall posters of high-frequency “heart words.”
2. We Provide Multisensory Art-Rich Handwriting Practice and Make Learning Visible and Meaningful. The word “love” is our anchor word. The “heart word” sentence “I love you” is practiced for mastery.
3. We Use Fingerspelling to Help Children Develop Three Levels of ABC Phonics Mastery, Fluency with “Heart Words” and Consonant-Vowel-Consonant (CVC) Words.
We sing, sign, fingerspell, and write 33 pink and purple “heart words” and bonus words.
Register Now ($189)
April 13, 2019 | Salem, OR
Grand Hotel | 8:30am - 3:30pm
About Nellie Edge
For more than three decades, Nellie Edge has been teaching and inspiring kindergarten teachers around the globe. Her proven literacy strategies are grounded in evidence-based research. Teachers everywhere have seen higher student achievement and joyful, engaged learners when they’ve followed her proven practices and used her extensive resources.
Read more about Nellie Edge.
Your Colleagues Evaluate Nellie Edge Professional Development
Loved it! Love the applicable learning! It speaks to my teaching heart. –Elizabeth Hoover, 1st grade
Thank you for reminding us of what authentic learning is all about. –Becky Bull, kindergarten teacher
I love how all of the information is current and relevant to today’s students and the standards...
Best I've been to in 35 years!
You put the fun back into teaching and learning.
Share this Kindergarten Writing information with a colleague!
Can't Attend Live? Study with Nellie Edge Online Seminars...
Take a Master Class in Kindergarten Writing Foundations
3 Nellie Edge Online Seminars
Follow Nellie Edge on Teachers Pay Teachers: Save 50%
Every Follower will immediately hear about new products and updates on our TpT store.
Take advantage of this 50% off savings within the first 48 hours of a new posting!
- Remember: All updates and corrections made to the products from our store are free. Forever.