Literacy Leaders Support
Provide Ongoing PD for Your Literacy Team
Guidelines and Support for Nellie Edge Online Seminars (NEOS) Study Group Leaders or Professional Learning Communities (PLC)
1. Invite potential study group teachers to peruse the ABC Phonics, Handwriting, and Sight Word pages at NellieEdge.com. Would you like to make these authentic literacy lessons routine in your classrooms? NEOS is the easiest, most cost-effective way to make that happen! $49.00 for single seminars, or $119 for 3 online seminars. Save $30!
2. How Can a Study Group Leader register FREE and save on teacher’s registration fees? When a study group of at least 4 teachers is ready to register for ALL 3 Foundational NEOS, the Study Group Leader can send a list of teachers’ names to info@NellieEdge.com. She/he will then receive a code for members to register for the 3 Online Seminars for $99 each (saving $80 or more) with unlimited access for three years. After the study group members have registered, the Study Group Leader may then request a code for FREE registration as the facilitator. Nellie Edge Online Seminars
3. Study Group Leaders may want to apply for district or state professional development credit or WA Clock Hours using our Self-Assessment Guidelines and practicum suggestions and WA Clock Hour documentation. (Or teachers may pursue approved credit option through the University of the
Pacific at $62 per credit.)
- ABC Phonics Self-Assessment Guidelines and Practicum Suggestions PDF
- Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting Self-Assessment Guidelines and Practicum Suggestions PDF
- Authentic Sight Word Work Self-Assessment Guidelines and Practicum Suggestions PDF
- WA Clock Hour documentation
- Download complete article with FAQs and Practicum Suggestions
4. When planning for your (PLC) time, build in time for teachers to download templates and organize props, parent letters, and lessons. Read suggested practicum projects: depending on my professional goals, a teacher could easily spend 10-15 hours (and up to 45 hours!) completing meaningful follow-up work for each NEOS topic. Putting together these authentic resources that you can use in your classroom will take time!
5. If possible, prior to the first study session, print for each teacher the 130+ page step-by-step Power Guide book (individual pages or 4 slides to a page, horizontal). Have it spiral bound. Teachers can use these books (along with sticky notes) as they study each seminar individually and generate comments and questions for discussion when the group meets each week.
6. Encourage the teachers to subscribe to and read Nellie Edge kindergarten blogs; these weekly posts wrap around the seminar content. Nellie Edge’s Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT) store, our video clips and Kindergarten Pinterest boards provide additional, carefully curated resources.
7. Early in the study group sessions, read and discuss the research of Dr. Hatti on “visible learning” and Dr. Dweck’s work on “growth mindset.” Consider why each NEOS high-impact strategy contributes to socioemotional learning and takes advantage of how the brain learns best. (Read the article on the ABC Phonics page: What is Your Research Base?)
- Kindergarten Writing and The Common Core: Joyful Pathways to Accelerated Literacy, Nellie Edge, Nellie Edge Resources, 2015.
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, Dr. Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D., updated edition, Random House, 2016.
- Visible Learning for Teachers, Dr. John Hattie, Routledge, 2012.
- Using the SIOP™ Model with Pre-K and Kindergarten English Learners, Jana Echevarria, Deborah J. Short, Carla Peterson, Pearson, 2012
- Best Practice Bring Standards to Life in America’s Classrooms, Steven Zemelman, Harvey “Smokey” Daniels, Arthur Hyde, Heinemann, 2012.
- What Really Matters in Response to Intervention: Research-Based Designs, Richard L. Allington, 4th edition, Pearson, 2009.
Download complete article with FAQs and Practicum Suggestions
Take a Master Class in Kindergarten Writing Foundations
EACH SEMINAR INCLUDES
Step-by-Step Video Tutorials • Companion Teacher's Guide
Coordinating Classroom Resources!
$117 for all 3 or $49 each
Includes unlimited access and optional PD credits