As for so many educators around the globe, we were disappointed that COVID-19 caused us to rearrange our PD plans. We canceled our April 18 LIVE workshop in Salem, Oregon, and yet all is not lost!
The very same strategies are now available as a Distance Learning Course on Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT).
Kindergarten Writing Workshop #1: How to Simultaneously Teach Handwriting and Sight Words provides the same content to you, and now you can study from the comfort and convenience of your home. It includes embedded links so you can watch 10 short instructional video clips throughout the course. We have made it very affordable by discounting it 50% off now on TPT (all 456 pages).
Check out the “preview” on TPT and you’ll see many of the pages. (My technical writing colleagues worked remotely from their home offices on this with me – so this non-tech lady is starting to learn a whole new set of skills!)
How is the Nellie Edge Writing Workshop #1 Distance Learning Course Different than the Nellie Edge Online Seminars (NEOS)?
For several years, teachers have taken Nellie Edge Online Seminars (NEOS) to greatly accelerate literacy in their classrooms, using her 3 main foundational strategies, and kids love them!
- NEOS 1: Multisensory ABC Phonics Immersion
- NEOS 2: Kindergarten Handwriting
- NEOS 3: Best Ways to Teach Sight Words (We call them “heart words”)
So, you might ask, how is this distance learning course different from Nellie Edge Online Seminars (NEOS)?
Each NEOS is a comprehensive presentation by Nellie Edge (©2017)
- In each of the 1-hour state-of-the-art online seminars, Nellie is teaching, demonstrating, talking, and singing through one foundational writing strategy in detail.
- Includes hundreds of pages of teaching printables (all together, the complete handwriting and sight word programs!)
- Available for up to 3 credits each (total of 9 PDUs) with follow-up practicum
New Kindergarten Writing Workshop #1 Distance Learning Course — developed and written by Nellie Edge (©2020)
- This 6-hour distance learning course references all 10 of our highest-impact writing strategies, slide by slide, all 456 of them!
- It shows the interplay of how multisensory ABC Phonics Instruction with fingerspelling (NEOS 1), handwriting (NEOS 2), and sight words (NEOS 3) reinforce each other and build the writing brain.
- It highlights the importance of building the first circle of writing mastery: “I love you.” We further document a systematic approach to 3 levels of ABC Phonics Mastery.
- We emphasize how phonemic awareness—through rich oral language traditions and community building, Social Emotional Learning (SEL), and meaningful family involvement—underlies everything we do, weaving literacy throughout the day.
- The course includes links to 10 instructional videos in which Nellie and colleagues demonstrate active teaching strategies.
- Includes step-by-step instructions and practicum suggestions for how to earn 1-3 university credits. (You deserve credit for building a comprehensive engaging best writing program!)
- Includes “Bonus Resources” with over 40 printable pages.
What if I have already purchased and studied NEOS?
Here is our gift! You do not need to purchase this if you have already purchased/studied Nellie Edge Online Seminars (NEOS). This expanded distance learning opportunity is a FREE download for participants. It is available now on NEOS#3: thank you for trusting us with your PD!
All Nellie Edge professional development reflects
- Decades of work with kindergarten teachers and children
- Years of action-research with master teachers in real kindergarten classrooms
- Proven Best Practices for ELLs and diverse kindergarten students
It is our hope that this distance learning course—with 456 slides documenting authentic, joyful kindergarten learning—may bring a smile to your face and remind you again why you love teaching kindergarten!