Children build fluency and stamina for writing workshop by making books with high-frequency sentences patterns! (We call them “heart word” sentences.)
Establish two principles:
First, the beginning of the year, kindergartners learn there are two types of words:
- Heart words and sentences: they are expected to read, write, and spell these words “by heart.” We want children to “own” these words.
- Phonics-based words: Children learn to listen and stretch through sounds, and write these words phonetically (Encoding sounds to print.)
This blog focuses specifically on high-frequency words: authentic ways children will practice “heart word” sentences until their writing becomes automatic; building writing power!
Secondly, when students develop independent book-making behavior, it frees the teacher to conduct small-group writers workshop. This is where students
practice and integrate all of the skills of becoming a writer.
Writing teaches reading! Young writers soon learn to read and write “My Book,
“by,” “the end,” and “I see the dog/cat” — sometimes even before they recognize
all letters in isolation.
Now for the 10 Steps to Success
3. Practice step-by-step drawing and good handwriting using white boards with the entire class. Have high expectations that all kindergartners can write and draw. Teach our Sequential Language Song: First, next, then, after that, finally…
4. Teach independent writing center behavior in small group: Create an “I” chart. Refer to the agreed-upon responsibilities and behavior.
6. Vary the input and provide different sentence patterns: Rubber Band Books or Folded Books become frames for Information Writing about science concept and developing fluency with the sentence, “This is water.”
9. Differentiate Learning: Provide drawing and writing support for less experienced writers and challenge for your more prolific writers. In this TAG (Talented and Gifted) model kindergartners can always create their own book expressing their own unique ideas and design.
And…what might your future naturalist be independently writing?
I see the whole life cycle of a ladybug.
Notice—we do not usually edit these delightful first drafts. We celebrate “kid–writing” as a creative process! Students will begin using conventionally spelled “heart words” and phonics-based spelling! They will choose to edit these first drafts only if selected for their final published books.
10. If you grow your kindergarten writers with independent writing centers, systematic writing workshop lessons, drawing instruction, and writing across the curriculum, your students will be writing and publishing amazing books by the end of the year!
Join Nellie Edge for Workshop #3:
From Independent Writing Centers to Published Books
Saturday, October 19, 2019 | Salem, Oregon
Explore the best ways to grow kindergarten writers!
See TPT for Nellie Edge Templates
Kindergarten Writing Templates This growing bundle will soon have 5 Independent Writing Center kits, our entire set of writing across the curriculum resources, and our best support for editing and publishing kindergarten books! From Nellie Edge Kindergarten Writing and the Common Core program.
Independent Drawing and Writing Center Kit: Includes a complete set of 11 drawing models and all of the information and support you need to create an Independent Drawing, Writing, and Book Making Center Tote.
Take a Master Class in Kindergarten Writing Foundations
EACH SEMINAR INCLUDES
Step-by-Step Video Tutorials • Companion Teacher's Guide
Coordinating Classroom Resources!
$117 for all 3 or $49 each
Includes unlimited access and optional PD credits