What could YOUR family-friendly calendar look like? Why does it matter?
Our work in establishing and supporting meaningful family learning traditions is some of the most important work kindergarten teachers do. We do NOT believe in giving families meaningless worksheets to do at home. We DO believe in sharing actionable ways families can build school success for their child while creating joyful learning memories. Our Editable Kindergarten Family Learning Calendar will always be 50% off – this is our commitment to meaningful family involvement!
What do meaningful family literacy traditions look like?
Photo compliments of Marion-Polk Early Learning Hub
“Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” ― Emilie Buchwald
Photos used with permission
Motivated kindergartners love practicing "heart word" at home!
Our 2020 Editable Kindergarten Homework Calendar on TpT
has new activities and includes FREE yearly updates and 10 parent letters!
Do not purchase if you already have Nellie Edge Online Seminars Resources. This updated calendar is also included in our Parents as Partners Bundle and K-1 Family Guide to Literacy Bundle. Remember to download the updated version of the calendar.
(The calendar is available as a PDF and also in editable form for those of you who want to adapt the language to fit your curriculum.)
Let your calendar be a gentle reminder for families to sing, talk, dance, and read with their children every day. Tell stories and explore nature, memorize, and recite rhymes.
- Memorize many Mother Goose rhymes
- Learn the ABC Phonics song
- Build writing and drawing stamina
- Count everything
- Take walks and explore nature
- Tell stories
- Cook together
- Savor childhood—your family is still the most important teacher your child will ever have!
Honor family life with authentic and meaningful learning activities!
- Build the nightly reading-at-home tradition
- Include actionable ways for families to reinforce foundational literacy and math skills
- Emphasize rich oral language traditions: singing, rhyming, and story-telling
- Include a focus on social-emotional and self-help skills: from and kindergarten kindness to shoe-tying
- Encourages voracious vocabulary building: Ornithologists study birds!
- Offers differentiated learning both in depth of learning and time required for activity
- Promote great family conversations
Includes 10 Editable Nellie Edge Parents as Partners letters
- About the Monthly Family Learning Calendar
- ABC Phonics Family Reference Chart
- ABC Phonics Parent Letter (New)
- Memorize, Recite, and Read Mother Goose Rhymes
- Developing Small Motor Skills and Efficient Pencil Grip Are Important
- Teach Your Child to Print Their Name Efficiently: The Beginning of ABC Fluency
- Kindergartners Learn to Write Two Kinds of Words (New)
- Parents as Partners: Why Phonemic Awareness Is Important
- Achieving Rigorous ELA Common Core Standards
- Ten Things to Say to Your Child Everyday (New)
What else is new in the family calendar packet?
- “Reading Is Fun” rhyme with QR code
- Reading Logs
- Art from kindergarten kids and Nellie Edge Big Books™
What Do Kindergarten Teachers Say About This Family-Friendly Calendar?
Each year I have families who request homework for their "littles".... There are so many activities that families can do together in place of paper/pencil homework. These pages allow me to send homework but in a manner that will work with families....and they are editable! –Rachelle M.
I have been using these monthly homework calendars in my classroom for the past three school years. This new update is getting me ready for year four. It's such a fantastic way to enhance what it being learned in the classroom and create open lines of communication between school and home. Thanks for making quality products for busy teachers and busy kindergarten families! –Heather C.
What a great way to share simple things families can do at home together! This takes care of all the homework issues I get every year - some families want it, some don't. Now they can choose and understand what we do in Kindergarten! Thank you!! –Patti R.
The price of this Family Learning Calendar ALWAYS reflects a 50% savings! It is our commitment to meaningful family literacy. Earn TPT credit! After you download and see the product, please post a rating and comment!
Purchase the Family Learning Calendar NOW
Engaging families in the literacy learning process is the foundation of everything we do. Thank you for inviting Parents to be Partners!
Follow me on TPT and receive 50% off NEW ITEMS
within 48 hours of posting! Explore Parents as Partners Resources on TPT