Write-a-Message Center empowers children to use writing for real-world purposes. Word work needs to be authentic, differentiated, motivating, and socially meaningful. Create an Independent Writing Center tote that has all the props needed for more proficient writers to soar and to provide scaffolding for younger less experienced writers: information folder, model sentences, photo/name page, black pens, colored pens, assorted blank paper, and envelopes.
Now for the 8 Steps to Success
1. Include names and photos of kindergarten friends in the writing tote: use larger photos and print names for younger learners
2. Use Sing, Sign, Spell, and Read! songs to teach students how to spell “To” and “From.” Sing and fingerspell words.
3. Model how to write a message and draw a picture. Consider sending each child a simple message: “I like you.” To ____, From _____. How fun to give the children envelopes with their name on it!
4. Once children know how happy they feel receiving a message, they will be eager to make cards and letters for their family and friends. At first, an adult will need to guide children through the expected Independent Writing Center behaviors: Make and “I” Chart.
5. A Mail Box and…
6. Teach children to fancy-up their messages: Use Essential Handwriting Lessons. (A Nellie Edge TPT Resource)
7. Children will soon start writing “I love you” messages to teacher. Treasure these gifts! Post them on your wall and keep a separate notebook for your growing collections of love and appreciation messages to teacher.
See TPT for Nellie Edge writing templates.
Independent Drawing and Writing Center Kit: Includes a complete set of 11 drawing models and all of the information and support you need to create an Independent Drawing, Writing, and Book Making Center Tote.
Save! All 5 of our Independent Center Writing Kits are included in the growing Kindergarten Writing Templates Bundle. Soon it will have all 5 of the updated writing centers and our entire updated kindergarten writing curriculum! (0ver 300 pages of our best writing templates.)