15 Reasons to Bring Back the Out-Loud Culture and Empower Young Learners
ALL students deserve to memorize, recite, illustrate, and read delightful language.
Updated September 2023
- I am learning to draw with detail and it makes me happy!
- My whole class has fun sharing these poems and songs together.
- I can memorize, recite, and perform language: “I am learning English!”
- I can recite and reread these poems and songs with my family.
- Memorizing rhymes develops phonemic awareness.
- I am training my eyes to move quickly across the page.
- I am learning new vocabulary.
- I can practice using my phonics skills to read new words.
- I can read high-frequency words “by heart!”
- The more I practice, the better I get!
- I am learning to be a good expressive speaker—just like my teacher!
- Every time I reread a rhyme, my reading gets better.
- I like to read my personal anthology of poems and songs and rhymes!
- I practice to become a master at reading every page.
- I can read my Poetry Notebook forever!
The Science of Reading Supports a Comprehensive Approach to Early Literacy
Our students need a solid foundation of phonemic awareness, systematic phonics, writing skills (encoding sounds to print) and language development to build reading success!
The science of reading supports more than systematic phonics mastery, it includes building vocabulary, comprehension, and oral language fluency. This is especially critical for emergent bilingual students who need more practice using language with Total Emotional Body Response to Language (TEBRL) strategies.
We encourage you to build a love of language and an “I can do it!” mindset through the power of daily shared poetry and song experiences.
- Use drama, movement, sign language, and dance to build comprehension
- Sing songs and recite rhymes with expression and intonation.
- Provide illustration to personalize meaning
- We honor both the art of “best practices” and the science of reading when we give students “I Can Read” Poetry Notebooks to build foundational skills and celebrate language!
“…Pretty things, well said; it’s nice to have them in your head.”
– Robbie Burns
“My students love reading these poems and being able to add their own illustrations! It makes them feel like authors :)”
“Saying rhymes and songs together practices many skills. The children learn new vocabulary and develop a feeling of unity working together.”
– Laura R.
“This is such a RICH resource, full of inter-connected learning. My little students have already enjoyed some of the poetry and their illustrations make the poems come alive in a personal way. I am looking forward to using this resource all year and for many years to come. THANK YOU!”
– Barb C.
“My students and their parents have enjoyed these poems! I love the variety of poems to choose from and all of the activities that can be done with each poem!”
– Lauren B.
“ALL students deserve to memorize, recite, illustrate, and perform delightful language!” – Nellie Edge
Poetry Bundle includes:
- 8 individual monthly collections
- Literacy Collection
- Sciencing Songs and Rhymes
- Plan the Year (Bonus #1)
- Social Emotional Learning (Bonus #2)
Choose from over 200 poems, songs, and rhymes with family and curriculum connections. Bundle and SAVE!