3. Teach the kindergarten power sentence “I love you.” early in the year. Suggest engaging ways for children to continue writing “heart word” sentences at home.
4. Share favorite writing/drawing tools and resources with parents. Encourage families to set up a simple writing tote at home.
5. Give families guidelines for how to make 3 kinds of blank books. Then send home drawing models. Students write, draw, and make books at home and at school.
6. Provide families with writing templates and simple ideas for writing at home: writing messages, news stories, and science observations.
7. Support families in joyful, authentic ways to weave writing and drawing naturally into literacy play at home: Share how to talk to young writers, create a writing/drawing center tote, and build a love of learning!
Want to Learn More?
This resource is 50% off with the release of this blog. Consider asking your local printers to bind it for ease of use and planning. Make several copies of the entire document for your preK-1 families to check out and read—and—send home parent information pages and templates throughout the year!
Family literacy is dear to my heart. What started out as a small set of resources for “A Family Guide to Growing Young Writers” ended up being 96 pages of some of the best TPT work we have done yet for teachers and families! Several months in the making!
Have the best year ever with Parents as Partners in Kindergarten Writing Success!
Learn more about these joyful teaching and learning practices.
Join us for Kindergarten Writing Workshop #3
Take a MasterClass in Kindergarten Writing Strategies
with 3 Nellie Edge Online Seminars
Nellie Edge teaches you essential skills designed from 30 years of experience in step-by-step videos:
Seminar #1: Multisensory ABC and Phonics Immersion
Seminar #2: Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting Matters!
Seminar #3: Authentic Sight Word Work
WITH EACH SEMINAR YOU'll RECEIVE:
- Unlimited Access to Online Video Tutorials
- Companion Teacher's Guide
- Coordinating Classroom Resources - ready to use!